|Holiday Candles Made from Soy or Beeswax|
After years of burning paraffin-based candles that left nasty soot residue on her walls and pictures, Big Green Purse reader Laureen of Basking Ridge, New Jersey stumbled upon soy candles in a little shop on Long Island. She’s also found soy candles in Hallmark shops in her local mall. What does she like about them?
• They’re clean. Conventional candles come from petroleum, which is why they create soot when they burn. Soy candles are made from just what they sound like: soybeans. You can burn them without worrying about generating carbon emissions or having to clean up grime afterwards.
• They’re cool. Because they’re basically beans, not oil, soy candles give you the flame without the same heat that paraffin candles emit.
• They last. Soy candles burn 30-50% longer than petroleum-based candles. A nice feature if you’re having a dinner party, evening picnic, or just don’t want to have to keep buying candles so often.
• They set a good example. Because they burn so evenly, soy candles leave very little (if any) wasted wax on the sides of the jar.
Where can you get them?
In your neighborhood:
• Hallmark, Home Depot - Ask for them at Hallmark and Home Depot. Home Depot may be a long shot, but given their Eco Options program, they may be receptive to ordering “green” products they’re not yet carrying on their store shelves.
• Boutiques – Specialty shops that carry pottery, jewelry, home accessories and other trendy items may be an unexpected source of soy candles as well
• Whole Foods, Wild Oats - other Natural Foods Stores
On the Internet:
• Dripping in Color – Among their offerings is an Earth Soy Candle
• Anna Sova – Offering 100% soy candles in fragrances ranging from vanilla and sandalwood, to lavender, cedar and lime. Prices start at $12.50 for a 14 oz. candle.
Candles made from beeswax emit a sweet, subtle honey-like fragrance, burn soot-free, and don’t drip. You can buy them in traditional taper style, or molded into a variety of beautiful shapes.
Big Dipper Wax Works - Among the many choices are 3" beeswax ornaments in the shape of a Star, Snowflake or Ribbon that each will burn for over 40 hours; elegant tapers whose wicks are 100% cotton and contain no lead or metal, and larger “pedestals” in a variety of colors.
Beeswax Candle Company - Beautiful holiday candles shaped into holly spirals, pinecones, trees, pillars and columns. Plus beautiful accessories, including candle holders and tapers.
Candlebee Farm - Additive-free and solar powered processes bring you dripless tapers, plain pillars and votive styles; you can also choose solid poured or rolled honeycomb candles.
Beeswax Company Natural candles molded into creative shapes, like beehives, balls and cubes, votives and tealights.