Are you getting or giving flowers for Mother's Day? Whether you buy them from your local florist, have them delivered, or arrange flowers you've cut in your own garden, these recommendations, provided courtesy of Organic Bouquet, will help you keep them happy in their vase for as long as possible.
When the flowers arrive (or when you're arranging them for your mom)…
· Prepare a solution of warm water and a flower food packet, or mix 2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice and 1 tbsp sugar per quart of water.
· Fill a vase with the solution to within 1-2 inches of the rim.
· Remove any leaves and foliage that would fall under the water line. With roses, I use garden shears to remove excess foliage so I don't cut myself on the thorny stems. I can use regular kitchen shears on flowers like tulips, lillies, and mums.
· Cut each stem at about ½ inch from the bottom, at a 45 degree angle, with a sharp single blade knife or floral clippers.
· Place the flowers into the vase one at a time so you can make a beautiful display. Never just take flowers out of their wrapping and plop them into the vase – you want the flowers to have enough room for buds to open and the blooms to breathe a little.
– Display the arrangement in a cool location between 65-72 degrees and away from direct sunlight and heat or dehumidifying sources. Definitely put them someplace where you can easily see and smell them!
Once your flowers are arranged…
· Top off the water level daily
· Clean the vase, change the flower food solution and re-cut the stems every two days (well, I do it every three days).
· Roses have an outer layer called “guard petals” that keep the bloom tight and protect the flower during shipping. They may appear discolored or bruised – simply remove these petals and the rose will blossom over the next few days.
· Lilies will bloom over the course of several days. Remove the pollen to avoid staining. Pollen dust can be removed from the flower petals by lightly brushing with a pipe cleaner. Cut off expired lily blooms as blooms closer to the tip continue to open.