To Beat Mosquitos – Don’t Zap ‘Em, Trap ‘Em

Don't waste your money buying electric bug zappers or battery-powered insect traps. They don't actually prevent mosquitos from breeding, and they're pretty intrusive – who wants to sit on the porch on a nice summer night and hear "zzzz" every time a bug gets electrocuted?

Mosquito trap This simple mosquito trap is a more environmentally friendly option. Just put a few cups of rain, ditch or pond water in the jar and add the powdered bait that comes with the trap. The mosquitoes will lay their eggs in the water; once they go in the jar, they don't come out.

For best results, position a trap every 10 feet or so around the perimeter of your porch or patio, using at least two traps. Don't put the traps near where you usually sit or picnic, as the jars do lure mosquitos in before they trap them!

What else can you do to reduce mosquitos in an eco-friendly way?

1) Eliminate all standing water. Dump water from trays and dishes potted plants sit in. After any rain, take a walk around the porch, patio or yard and dump out any water; mosquitos can breed in less than a cupful of liquid, so dump it all out!

2) Check roof gutters and downspouts, too. If they've gotten clogged, water could pool behind them, providing a great hiding place for breeding mosquitos.

3) Keep pond water moving. Mosquitos need still water to breed; if you have a pond or fountain, use a small pump to make sure the water is continuously moving. You could also keep goldfish in the pond to eat up mosquitos that hover overhead or lay larva in the water.

4) Light candles. On my porch in the evenings, I also light citronella candles. The traps and candles combined have reduced my mosquito problems significantly.

5) Wear protective clothing. Mosquitos are at their worst at dawn and dusk. If you need to be out in your yard early in the morning or when evening falls, wear collared shirts with long sleeves, long pants, socks and shoes rather than sandals, and even a hat.

6) Use mosquito repellent that's safe for you and other wildlife, too. Some insect repellents contain harsh toxic chemicals you really don't want to put on your skin.  Here are a few we recommend.

RELATED POSTS Insect repellent   DEET-free Mosquito Repellents That Work

SIMPLIFY YOUR SHOPPING

Mosquito Traps

Pond Pumps

Citronella Candles

Mosquito Repellents

, , , , ,

9 Responses to To Beat Mosquitos – Don’t Zap ‘Em, Trap ‘Em

1. Water pump August 12, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

Pump is necessary to circulate water and in purchasing a pump size of your pond and other factors should be consider.

2. bed bug extermination September 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

I’m all for environmentally-friendly pest control. Thanks a lot for this very informative post. I didn’t know I could use even candles to combat mosquitoes.

3. bed bug extermination September 19, 2011 at 1:13 am #

My only question is, how long does it take for a mosquito trap to lure mosquitoes in for the kill? I don’t want to risk the health of my family over having my own mosquito-killing contraption.

4. Diane MacEachern September 28, 2011 at 8:54 am #

Mosquitoes are drawn into the traps when they pass them by. I don’t think you risk your family’s health by using the traps. At our house, we use a combination of traps, candles, long-sleeves and pants, and some non-toxic bug spray – it’s an effective combination to thwart bug bites.

5. pest control fairfax December 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

Mosquitoes can be annoying enough to make an area uninhabitable or unsuitable for recreational or industrial development.This should be eliminate.

6. nature's own solutions February 16, 2012 at 9:20 am #

mosquitoes are really bad in our health..I don’t want to risk the health of my family…

7. Pest Controllers March 30, 2012 at 11:26 am #

These are wonderful tips to keep mosquitoes at home controlled. They can be quite annoying to have around.

8. bee trap July 3, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

I gonna start blogging about few days later. So, I think to read more blogs to enrich my blogging methods. I also read your posting. I like to share my The hole on the carpenter bee trap mimics the entrance of a carpenter bee nest. No bait or poison is needed. These carpenter bee traps have been extensively tested and is proven to work. After being trapped, carpenter bees will release a pheromone to attract more carpenter bees into the trap. The long-term carpenter bee solution youve been looking for!

9. pondboy August 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

If you have a pond. You can also feed your fish less that way they become more hunter likely and thus will attack mosquito larvae before they become flying insects to bite. I do this with every pond I have and works well. I use fish food more for entertainment.