Go Green, Live Rich

Go_green With all the belt-tightening going on, most people seem ready to give up whatever eco-friendly actions they’ve adopted in order to economize. In his new book, Go Green, Live Rich, best-selling author David Bach makes a convincing case that saving energy and resources will not just save you money, but make you money, too. He offers four steps for greener living that could save you $10 a day every day of the year. They are:

1) improve your car’s fuel economy: save $884 annually

2) seal leaks in your home to reduce heating and cooling needs; save $129

3) adjust thermostat in either direction 3 degrees: save $85

3) Bring lunch to work (in reusable containers): save $1,560

Total savings: $3,758 per year, or approximately $10 a day.

Green_pig_2And, says Bach, if you invest that $10 a day (instead of finding new things to spend it on), and you earn a 10 percent annual return (which you can earn through investments in green funds, by the way), in 30 years you would have $678, 146.

So…before you think you can’t afford to live green, think again. Not only will you enjoy immediate savings, but you’ll have extra investment income to help fill your green piggy bank for the future.

7 Responses to Go Green, Live Rich

1. Ron Robins July 25, 2008 at 8:55 am #

Good to see you recommending green investing!
    You might want to look at my site. It uniquely covers the latest global green and ethical investing news and research. It’s at http://investingforthesoul.com/
    Good luck and best wishes,Ron Robins

2. Diane MacEachern July 25, 2008 at 9:26 am #

Ron,
    Thank you so much for sharing your site with Big Green Purse! If you ever want to do a guest post, please let me know.

3. Sabrina Aahmed June 10, 2010 at 5:20 pm #

I think that this is a very important message that everyone needs to hear. Living a ‘Green and Sustainable’ lifestyle isn’t necessarily the cheapest choice but it doesn’t need to stop you.
    There are lots of resources that can teach you to save money while still being eco-friendly!
    As a member of the green community, I find that it is my duty to share new resources that I find helpful, and in compliance with that ideal I’d like to share a resource that I have found irreplaceable and helpful in my journey into ‘Green’!
    http://www.greeneutopia.com is a site that has up to date info on events and issues in the Green community. It also has an extremely user friendly online store with a wide selection of eco-friendly highly competitive prices that make for an excellent money saving Green shopping experience.
    With the volumes of information they provide, they put the ability to learn and sharing new information right at your fingertips and I hope that you all enjoy the site as much as I have!
    Go Green!
    Sabrina

4. Diane MacEachern June 14, 2010 at 8:34 am #

Thanks for sharing this link. I really appreciate it.

5. Diane MacEachern June 21, 2010 at 7:28 am #

Sabrina, Thanks for your support and for the great example you’re setting with the changes you’ve made to your own life. We can all make a difference!

6. Texas Shredding January 19, 2011 at 2:52 am #

These are very easy and practical ways to stay green even with the belt-tightening that we have nowadays. It may be hard to change old ways but with little steps you are on your way to living a green lifestyle. Aside from helping the environment, going green also helps in saving money.

7. Mike October 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

I remember being at this event as my school where a guy was telling us why you save money by buying a used car. He said that when you buy a new car it continually loses value. I still think buying a new car is best because a used car can have tons of reliability problems. The best way to save money honestly is to ride the bus. I guess most of us are spoiled by vehicles.